Monday, March 15, 2010

Jesus Has Super Powers!?!?!

The other night, I found myself unable to see clearly because my eyes were filled with the tears that come with realizing that God is at work.

The boys were finishing dinner while I cleaned the kitchen. I was talking with them about the behavior expected when visiting with friends later that evening. Nate was talking with Lincoln about keeping promises, "We always are to keep our promises, Lincoln. But everyone makes mistakes. Everyone lies sometimes."

I explained, "That's true - but God and Jesus NEVER lie. They NEVER make mistakes. They are the only perfect ones."

At this point, Nate took over. I was finished with the kitchen, but I found ways to stay so I could listen in. Nate said, "Lincoln, did you know that Jesus is God's SON??? I know a Bible verse about that, 'For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life. He sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.' And did you know that Jesus was God's ONLY son? He didn't have any others...because it says, 'only begotten son.'"

Lincoln, eyes wide, said, "WOW!"

Nate continued, "And Did. You. Know that Jesus has SUPER POWERS?!?"

Lincoln is so excited that he can barely contain himself, "REALLY?!?!?"

"Yes!" Nate explained, "He can forgive ALL your sins! Do you know how he does that?"

"How?" Lincoln whispers.

"All you have to do is pray."

"I can pray!!!" Lincoln exclaims.

"Yes. You pray just by talking to God like he is your friend. You tell him that you are sorry and ask him to forgive you. If you do that, you'll get to go to heaven one day. Our WHOLE FAMILY might get to go to heaven one day!"

"Wow! That would be TOTALLY AWESOME!" Lincoln is truly excited.

Then Nate breaks the bad news, "Well, not our bodies - our bodies will be dead in the ground. But our spirits will go to heaven."

"Waaaaaaah!!!!" Lincoln begins his trademark wail.

So at this point, I composed myself, stopped scrubbing cabinets, and started talking about the merits of heaven and how we'll get new bodies :).

It was such a wonderful conversation between my two boys, ages 5 and 3. I still tear up thinking about it. Sometimes it is so easy to get lost in the details of life, in the dishes and laundry and who did what to whom. But then God allows these moments of clarity to remind us to keep going, to stay the course, that He is at work and has been. Don't give up. Stay focused.

No comments: