My husband and I were talking the other day. Nothing important, really. Just making plans to do this or do that "when we are rich." We've been married over fifteen years and we've never been rich. And we will probably never be rich. Financially, anyway.
What we ARE rich in is love. I know people scoff at "all we need is luuuuv" kind of statements, but it is true. I can not imagine being this happy with anyone else. He is so much fun to be around. I tend to be more serious in nature, but he brings out my lighter side. I am not funny to anyone but him. And that is all that matters.
We have these little conversations that would not make sense to anyone else, but they go a long way in keeping our relationship thriving. We have a give-and-take without ever needing to keep score.
When we were dating, people would groan at our infatuation and say, "Just wait until you've been together _____." Well, we passed that mark. And the next one. And the next one. People told us that it'd be different after having children. They were right. But not the way they intended. We grew stronger. Through labor and recovery, I learned that he is someone I can count on. Although he was completely out of his comfort zone, he jumped into parenting with both feet and never looked back. He has gone from "What am I going to do?" with the first child to "Sure, leave all four with me for the weekend. We'll have fun." And he meant it :)
Sure, we have times where I don't understand him. And he doesn't understand me. We have times where he or I forget something that mattered to the other. But early on, we made a promise to always - ALWAYS - try to think before we speak. And what we agreed to consider first is "Will what I want to say make things better?"
I can't think of anyone else who could - would - live with me for this long. I am so grateful for the husband with whom I have been blessed.
Each day truly does get better and better!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment