So, I've used checklists in the past. Some work, some don't. But after getting a sample from someone else, I realized that mine are all written in "instruction mode" such as "Make your bed" or "Empty dishwasher." When a fellow homeschooler distributed a copy of HER checklist, I realized that it was awesomely awesome. It was worded "Is my bed made?" "Are my clean clothes folded and put away?" WHY is it awesomely awesome? Because it internalizes what they need to do - puts the responsibility on themselves. Didn't my other checklist do that? Well...sort of. But it was still written in the "Do this to please Mommy" tone. This new one ends with "Great Job! Aren't you proud of yourself?" LOVE the positive spin on things!
So, I get home, eager to implement this new way of doing things. I make the charts for each of the rooms - one goes on the boys' door and one goes on the girls' door. When they wake up, I show them the charts. They set in without a complaint. The older helps the younger. The boys are busy, but I see Olivia looking confused, but staying busy.
The boys exclaim their success and I check in. Great! Just missed a car here and there. I check Olivia's room - still messy. Now I am the one confused! After questioning her, it finally becomes clear - she had made MY bed, put away MY clothes, folded MY blankets, etc. In fact, my room was looking pretty spiffy! She said that she was really confused about why I would have cars, dollies, blocks, and books in my room to put away, but she DID find two books.
Ahh...I love opportunities like this where I catch a glimpse of the way my children think! No to mention the gift of a clean bedroom in the process :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment