Sunday, January 20, 2008

I am pretty stubborn...but it can only take me so far

November 16, 2007 - Friday
If you know me, you know that I am a pretty stubborn person. I don't think I'm overly bull-headed or just one of those people who can't admit that I'm wrong. Just that when I set my mind to something, I'm pretty determined to see it to completion. Through tough times and easy times, I have a goal and I'm going to see it through. We have three children and my stubbornness has seen us through two bouts of "the terrific twos", two life-stopping potty trainings, and five years of one "phase" after another. In my line of work, we know that we have to persevere to see progress. To date, I can only remember every truly giving into one child: My middle one went many hours w/o food b/c he refused to take a bottle when he suddenly chose to stop nursing at 9 1/2 months. "He'll eat when he's hungry enough" eventually became, "Okay, sweetie, you win. Here's some food." But one thing I learned today: My stubborness can only go so far. It doesn't matter how stubborn you are - sometimes a body is just not physically ready.

At work, we know that after ten sessions or so, if we see limited progress, we put that skill on hold and work on something else. Well, today marked 10 1/2 days of potty training (think 60+ "sessions") and I realized that we're really no further along than when we began. He's gotten really good at sitting on the potty. He just has no clue as to what we get so excited about. So after a week and a half, rather than being at least trained to go on a schedule, we have instead created a "Booze-Booze" (Blues Clues) addict and have regressed to having a paci pretty much most of the time (we had previously gotten to just having it in bed). We have shortened meals b/c of increased snacks. I haven't used the highchair this entire time b/c he has eaten every meal on the potty seat. He thinks that to watch TV, you first have to drop your drawers and sit on the seat.

Sooo...I threw in the towel today. Called it quits. Me. Kristyn. Giving up. My husband can't believe it. He's not used to seeing this side of me. I'm not either. I think that's probably b/c we don't see this side of me very often. But there comes a time when you realize that no matter how smart the child, sometimes biology wins. At least for now.

It felt so good to just slap a diaper on his bum and send him outside for an hour with Kevin and the others.

We'll try again early February. I just soooo do not want two in diapers. But again, I learned something today...my stubbornness can only take me so far.

No comments: