October 15, 2007 - Monday
Parenting
Sooooo...parenting is wonderful. Glorious. Spectacular. So much better than I ever thought it would be. I knew I wanted to be a mom, but actually becoming one was, and is, awesome.
But there are some days that you wonder, "What have I gotten myself into?" Some days where you wonder if the child(ren) you see actually are the same ones you kissed only hours before.
On those days, you realize the power of a mom. How being a mom who stays home and spends time with her children can train them in the ways of the Lord. Train them right from wrong, requesting from whining. And when you miss too many of those days, or when the days you do have at home are spent on other pursuits, it all starts to unravel.
Parenting
Sooooo...parenting is wonderful. Glorious. Spectacular. So much better than I ever thought it would be. I knew I wanted to be a mom, but actually becoming one was, and is, awesome.
But there are some days that you wonder, "What have I gotten myself into?" Some days where you wonder if the child(ren) you see actually are the same ones you kissed only hours before.
On those days, you realize the power of a mom. How being a mom who stays home and spends time with her children can train them in the ways of the Lord. Train them right from wrong, requesting from whining. And when you miss too many of those days, or when the days you do have at home are spent on other pursuits, it all starts to unravel.
What a precarious line we walk. Helping them to become independent while at the same time respecting authority, whomever it shall be. Teaching them that you obey, and with a smile...Fast Obey With A Happy Face. Teaching them that not only will they comply, but they will do so quickly, with a smile...and before they know it, they're having fun.
That's the challenge of a mom. To instill values and character while making it fun. And to do it with everyone making it to the other side in one piece.
Some days are fairly easy.
Some days you put them in bed, turn off the light, close the door and exhale. And realize that you get to do it all again tomorrow. And the next day. And the next.
But that's where the love comes in...and the hope and belief that tomorrow will be a better day. That tomorrow will come with anewed patience and brilliant training ideas and joy overflowing. That tomorrow you will like them and they will like each other and everyone will be happy.
The promise of tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment